Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Speaking of climbing hills


It is funny that somehow Bach came up at Thanksgiving and I love Bach and was asked for a recommendation. But while I love him, I don't really know the names of pieces or his ouvre so much that I can just whip out recs. I thought of the Cello concertos but since those are for one instrument, it does not capture the man. So I said, "The Brandenburg Concertos." I was nervous. Are they that good? Is that what I should recommend to newbies. I have hardly stopped listening to them since. Good pick.

The Freiburg Baroque Orchestra has their version of the Concertos up on YouTube. When they say allegro, they mean fast. Really fast. And the pieces have been swirling in my head. And they really help me. They are full of love and joy but mostly they are fast. And that really helps when you are climbing for hours, i.e. Mt. Diablo, Mt. Hamilton. This one really helped me up Quimby/Hamilton.

No comments: