Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Damn I keep forgetting my camera

Oh well, nothing really happened anyway. But I do want to show what it's like to ride at dark. It's kind of cool because I take the side streets of Atherton, and apparently they don't believe in streetlights. I mean, it is probably one of the wealthier communities in the world, but no streetlights? They don't have curbs, either. Don't even ask about sidewalks. But actually it's really nice. And I love the lack of streetlights. And it makes it a little more dangerous and hence more fun. (I am a little worried about walkers or runners in blind curves and sometimes vocalize my presence.) It is like the Golden Gate bridge, with the clamor to put up a suicide protection fence. The people are like - no! It's not aesthetically pleasing, it doesn't fit. The non-nanny state yet very liberal, too. California is awesome.

Drove past this somber site in October - RIP

California is awesome but life is tragic everywhere, and often very unfair and cruel. But so far, it does seem a little easier out here in Redwood City than in New York City, in a macro, cosmic-type way. (Damn, kind of a bleak post with the multiple death references, but that New Yorker article is excellent and memorable..)

No comments: