Thursday, December 4, 2008

Mt. Diablo and Pennywhistle Thunder

Well I had a ton of photos from Mt. Diablo. And I had the urge to get the rare and unavailable Pennywhistle Thunder out there. So it was time to throw up a new video on YouTube. I probably am breaking copyright laws but I mean no harm and reject any profit. Pennywhistle Thunder came out ONLY on a 10" vinyl EP single with Cold Son. The band is Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks. Malkmus is critically acclaimed beyond all get out but no one has ever heard of him. I came across the new but obscure song on some bootleg live shows. It blew me away. Which makes sense because after all, it was apparently an outtake from Real Emotional Trash, released in early '08 and in my player all year. Every song on it is good; really, really good. It's a masterpiece. So of course the new, the fresh Pennywhistle Thunder blows my mind. It's like Malkmus on steroids. But you can't get it on mp3, can't get it on any CD, can't find it anywhere. There was a great live version at imeem but the dude who posted it disappeared. I bought the vinyl through eBay back in July but did not have a record player and then relocated West so I finally got around to listening to it a couple of weeks ago.

As for the YouTube video, all I did was show every photo in chronological order, everything saved from that day. No thinking, not a moment attempting to fix the photos to the music. You don't have to, it always works out. And just look at the fixed image on YouTube - the exact halfway moment - and lo and behold, it's CCurlew and Oldstrong sprinting up the wall. The highlight of the day yet by total chance. You can't make this stuff up. There was still over a minute to fill so I name-checked the band with photos and captions as a tribute. I love the Jicks beyond belief.



"I'd rather kiss a cop than use a malaprop." What a line.
"I'd rather be a circus freak than wake up with your hairline." I like that line too but it hurts. I guess I'm the cop there.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Cool show Chris...Great production
See you tomorrow BTW

Dan O said...

"Taxiderm the pachyderm - make him feel wanted" Malkmus' genius continues to amaze and disturb.

Chrisco said...

There are a lot of good lines, Dan, but the one you point out is classic Malkmus. There is also the more sensical, "It's just a slow drip, I'll never fix it." That is a good observation and philosophic.