Friday, December 12, 2008


I rode in the San Mateo Hills last night with some of the bikeforums nor-cal crew. I also went into San Mateo Pet Supply store to do my duty for the kitties. God knows they've been doing their duty. They are veritable shit factories. (So are we but with plumbing!) This means I rode my road bike to work, which is nice because it goes appreciably faster with less effort. I don't really want to sweat it, but occasionally I'll bust a sprint to make a light or something like that.

Things have been slow at work so I figured I'd venture into the shopping district of Menlo Park. It is a nice little town, too bad so many people have giant SUVs. As mentioned earlier, the firm keeps a bike room stocked with bikes and locks and panniers for employees to use. That's nice because I was not about to bring my $2K titanium road bike into town to leave cheaply locked outside. So I took out the company vehicle. Picked up a pair of trail running shoes [$50 - you don't need to spend more than that (I hope)], some base layer long johns for the cold evening, and a pair of gloves. I checked into the pharmacy to spend some FSA money on first aid kits and ended up buying electric toothbrush heads ($10 off) and some other items. I stopped by the hardware store and got masking tape and duct tape. The stuff easily fit in one pannier. On my way back, I stopped across the street for a photo of the bike.

Then after work, it was back on the bike for a 5-6 mile ride to San Mateo Pet Supply to clean up after cats. I have to take a bit of a roundabout route to avoid ridiculous traffic. Then I rode about to the train station in San Carlos, to San Mateo for a night ride in the hills. Lots of hills, up and down. It is awesome, Marco sets out a pretty nice ride. Their is a long, medium and short ride. The long ride is 33 miles, 4100 feet. The medium ride is 26 miles and 3500 feet. I took it easier tonight. You have to modulate because it is pretty cold out but you get so hot climbing and get drenched in sweat (that happened the week before), but then you descend and freeze and dry off and do it all again.

No comments: